Tuesday, December 06, 2005

dental phobia


Dental phobia is the phobia--or fear--of dentists. Why are most people afraid of dentists and/or their aids? Perhaps people are afraid that they're breath may have a hideous odor to it, only instead to find that the hygenist has it (that happened to me yesterday) instead. Or maybe when they're rinsing out your mouth, they won't put the sucky thing in your mouth and you'll drown. I know that as a child, I was afraid of the dentist, until I was about the age of 6 or 7. I had ginormous cavities on my back molars, and the pain was excruciating. When I went in to have them filled, the cavities themselves hurt less than the shot. So, because he took the pain of my cavity away by filling it, I liked him and wasn't afraid of him, he was my friend. In August of this year, I had 4 teeth extractions and wasn't too afraid. They had to give me 8 shots in the mouth, but to make it less painful they put the numbing gel on, but it honestly didn't feel like he put any on, he even said so. "Whoops, didn't put enough".. AFTER he gave the shots. All 8 of 'em.
Yesterday as I went to the dentist for the routine cleaning, they needed to take some X-Rays. As the nurse was sticking the cardboard in my mouth and told me to bite down, I did as she did, and I wasn't nice about it either, soon to discover that I bit down so violently that I bit her finger instead, not only did that happen ONCE, but TWICE. I felt bad. Oh well, she deserved it for not whitening my teeth... just brushing them and flossing, which I do everyday. (Half of it, anyways :) The dentist came in and told me I have TWO cavities. TWO! I didn't even notice them, they're that small. I've never gotten any prevention stuff to prevent this kind of stuff from happening.. Are they doing this to torture me?
Luckily, she calmly explained that the two cavities I have are on the chewing surfaces of my teeth (isn't that where they all are?) and won't even be noticeable, and since they are in the groove of the chewing surfaces of my teeth, they are "easy" cavities. I hope that by the time I get them filled, they will not have increased in size so there may be the possibility of no novacaine, which is a good thing! I don't like cavities, I already have a million from my childhood. They could've at least attempted to prevent these (or any) from happening. Or they could've given me fluoride to lighten the moment (and my teeth), that at least would've made my day a little brighter (no pun intended).

1 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, December 12, 2005, Blogger Ben (discipleofElyon) said...

Hey! I haven't been to your blog in like 3 months. Well, I hope your life is going well.
God Bless,
Ben
PS I've never had a cavity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home